Teaching is my passion. I would rather teach and mentor others to high levels of success than just about anything. That’s one of the reasons I’m good at it.
What are my qualifications?
I have been in the executive search and staffing industry for over 25 years. I began as a Recruiter with Lucas Associates of Atlanta, GA and since then have held a number of leadership and mentoring positions.
- As Vice President of Franchise Operations at Snelling Personnel in Dallas, TX, I helped over 300 offices improve and grow in both the practices of executive search as well as temporary staffing. I managed the efforts of ten Area Vice Presidents.
- As a Senior Business Consultant with Management Recruiters International of Cleveland, OH, I provided support and advice to between 50 and 60 franchised locations around the country.
- As owner of my own search firm, I put what I had learned into practice and, better yet, learned a great deal more from my own mistakes and successes.
- As Vice President and General Manager of one of the oldest offices in the Management Recruiters International group, I took a very hands-on approach to the day-to-day operation of an executive search firm.
What did I accomplish at these places?
Anyone can hold a job. Titles are meaningless. What’s really important is what someone accomplishes when he holds that title. The following are just a few notable accomplishments:
- At Snelling, my offices grew at astonishing rates. In a way, we were moving many of them out of the “Dark Ages” of applicant-driven placement and advertising as the sole source of recruiting. My group and I rewrote all the training manuals and managed a major shift in mindset of the front line troops from being “Professional Employment Counselors” in Employment Agencies to becoming Recruiters in Executive Search Firms. This was no small task.
- When I was recruited to join Sales Consultants of Dallas, an MRI franchise, the office, while once a top performing operation, had fallen to the bottom third of all MRI locations. And they had just lost their top performer. Through diligent hiring and training, revenues grew from less than a million per year to over two and a half million in just two years. We set all-time (40 year) office billing records and four of the new hires became Pacesetters (MRI’s designation for top performers) in just their second year. Continuing this pace, we became a top 25 office once again.
- Even though I was managing an office of up to 12 Account Executives (recruiters), at Sales Consultants I also produced revenue on my own, personally billing over $200,000 in 2006.
- As a rookie at Lucas Associates, I made 27 placements in my first 12 months. At current rates, my billing would have been over a half million dollars today.
- I have received both the CPC and CTS designations from the National Association of Personnel Consultants.
In short, I am a very good recruiter and an even better teacher.
What can I do for you?
As a business owner or manager, you have many challenges, all of them impacting the bottom line.
My goal as your consultant is to help you do these tasks better and make the bottom line bigger.
I am only interested in helping you. If helping your employees helps you, then I can help your employees. I am not solely interested in driving your top-line sales. Naturally, we can do that, but, unlike those whose only vested interest is in driving the top line, my interest is in making you more profitable. That’s an important distinction.
I am not a “one trick pony”. I do not live and die by some activity chart I developed. I do not have a single answer for all your problems. I am not going to sell you books and flip charts. I am not someone who insists that his way is the only way and that you must repeat his words verbatim or fail.
Most importantly, I am not some outsider with a Master’s degree in Organizational Development who has never made a placement and certainly never managed a multi-million dollar search firm.
I am one of you, and the problems you have today are ones I have had to deal with before, and whether I dealt with them well or poorly, I learned from the process and I am ready to share that experience with you.
How can I do it?
There is really no limit on the services I can provide, but below is a list of just a few:
- Assist in the identification of prospective employees, including interviewing them as a disinterested evaluator. Spending a little in the beginning may save you thousands on a failed hire.
- Conduct advanced training for your experienced staff
- Lead Morning Meetings
- Evaluate your operating statements to identify waste
- Interview and evaluate your experienced staff to help you help them improve
- Evaluate your organizational chart to spot areas of improvement
- Take an overview of your office specialties and determine improvement areas
- Help save/resurrect placements
- Analyze your activity and identify shortcomings
- Listen to and evaluate recordings of marketing/recruiting/closing calls
- Help you prioritize your day and the days of your employees
- Evaluate written presentations
- Look at your office from a bird’s eye view. It is often astonishing how we lose sight of big things while dealing with minutia.
- Be your “go to guy” in matters of personnel decisions
- Act as a sounding board for initiatives and direction changes
- Help you add contract or contract-to-hire staffing to your business mix. If you don’t do it now, I can teach you. If you do, I can help you make it better.
The list is endless, but my mission can be summed up in a few words…I am here to make you better. You may not even know what you need, but I can evaluate your office and your people and make suggestions as to areas of opportunity.
What’s the process?
First of all, let’s get to know each other… no charge. I would like to learn about your office and your evaluation of your people, processes, and problems.
Then you and I will discuss how best to address the challenges of operating a profitable search firm in your market. It is not my intent to parachute in with a briefcase full of dog-eared manuals and re-hash what you already know. For one thing, I have no intention of “parachuting in” at all. Ours is a telephone business and I can actually do a better job in evaluating your office if I hear what the client and candidate hears. Appearances don’t much matter. Furthermore, I will never try to apply some cookie-cutter training manuals or DVDs to your problems. I have read and seen dozens of those things and have written and produced a few myself. The thing that is missing from them…and will always be missing from them…is the unexpected, and learning how to handle the unexpected is 90% of our job.
What’s this going to cost me?
The truthful answer is that it will cost you nothing. You and your operation will benefit from your investment my advice and I will promise it in writing. Even if it only results in a couple of extra placements per year, there’s an extra $30-60,000+ in your pocket and the fees you pay me will be dwarfed by the additional profit you enjoy.
I charge by the hour or by the task. We can establish short term goals with a short term consulting relationship, or we can make arrangements for an ongoing monthly retainer whereby I am at your beck and call on a regular basis. It is strictly up to you.
If we end up liking each other, we can decide to work together. It’s as simple as that.
Pick up the phone. Let’s have a talk and get to know each other. I am happy to provide references and I will answer any questions you may have.
back to top
Kevin Jones CPC, CTS is an executive search professional. He has, during the past quarter century, served as a practitioner, manager, industry executive, and mentor to and with several of the most successful companies in the industry.
He may be reached at 903-269-3884 or 214-673-3214.
His email address is Kevin@cypresscs.com.